Monday, March 16, 2009

Magnolia

I have been waiting to talk about this one...

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are two types of people when it comes to Magnolia cupcakes. You either LOVE them or you HATE them. I am the latter. Let's discuss.

Magnolia lacks a variety of cupcakes and while they were made infamous by Sex and the City (they are even a stop on the SATC tour), they only really represent a basic bakery offering chocolate, vanilla, and red velvet cakes. According to their website, they do offer other flavors but I have yet to see any displayed in their cases. Now, the cake itself is just fine. Your typical regular size. It is the icing that really gets me though. I've tried the vanilla and the chocolate in hopes that it would make a difference but it really doesn't. Both of them are just TOO sweet. It ruins the cupcake in my opinion. I never thought there would be such a thing as too sweet until I tried these.

To be fair, I admit that their red velvet cucpcakes are good. If I see a Magnolia nearby and am in the mood for a cupcake (when am I not??), I would surely stop in to see if they had any red velvets available but other than that, I'm not really interested. I have yet to try any of their other treats but I've heard from a variety of people that their banana pudding is fantastic. It's on my list of things to try but this is not a pudding blog so I guess you'll have to ask me personally for my thoughts. :)

So there you have it. Ali is not a Magnolia fan.

THE JOURNEY:

Amai Tea and Bake House
Amy's Bread
Babycakes
Batch
Billy's Bakery
Buttercup Bake Shop
Butterlane Cupcakes
Crumbs
Cupcake Cafe
Eleni's
How Sweet It Is
Lux Sugar*
Magnolia
Martha's Country Bakery*
Make My Cake
Out of the Kitchen
Royale Cafe and Pastry (sells Baked* cupcakes!)
Starbucks (limited time only)
Sweet Revenge
Tribeca Treats
Tonnie's Minis
Two Little Red Hens

*Borough bakeries

1 comment:

Tausha said...

I think their cupcakes are gross (although when we have them in my office, I admit to eating them) BUT (and this has nothing to do with your cupcake mission) Magnolia's banana pudding is A-MA-ZING. Truly. And their red velvet cake is surprisingly much better than their red velvet cupcake.

Ok, that's all!