Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dessert Club Chikalicious

Thanks to NY Mag's recent article on the New York cupcake scene, I decided to bump Dessert Club Chikalicious to the top of my list of places to try. The NY Mag article had these cupcakes in the number one spot and while I can say they were delicious, I don't think I can rank them above my current fave, Baked. Here's why:

I tried the caramel cupcake (left) and the s'mores cupcake (right) for $2.25 each. I enjoyed the caramel more than the s'mores which actually surprised me because I had imagined it would have been the other way around.

The caramel cupcake was moist, the icing was soft and frothy, and there was some caramel in the center. My roommate asked me if I was okay with the filling (see previous post) and I said I could make an exception for this one. I think the filling really added something to the cake because honestly without it you wouldn't know it was caramel.

On the other hand, the s'mores cupcake consisted of a moist graham cracker-like cake with a slightly charred marshmallow topping and a chocolate filling in the center. This time the filling wasn't as welcomed. It was almost as if the baker had stuffed a solid piece of chocolate into the center and left it there. It just didn't fit in well for me. I think the concept was there and you could tell what type of cake it was without the filling (unlike the caramel) but the chocolate made it less enjoyable. I had my roommate sample some and she agreed with this point too.

All in all, they made a pretty delicious caramel cupcake and a decent s'mores but is it the best? I don't think so but maybe you should be the judge for yourself. I still have Baked in the number one slot because of the two cupcakes that I've tried thus far I have LOVED both. Unfortunately I can't say the same for Dessert Club Chikalicious. Sorry S'mores! We can still be friends.

THE JOURNEY:
Amai Tea and Bake House
Amy's Bread
Babycakes
Baked*
Batch
Billy's Bakery
Buttercup Bake Shop
Butterlane Cupcakes
Crumbs
Cupcake Cafe
Dessert Club ChikaLicious
Eleni's
How Sweet It Is
Kitchenette
Lux Sugar*
Magnolia
Martha's Country Bakery*
Make My Cake
Out of the Kitchen
Royale Cafe and Pastry (sells Baked* cupcakes!)
Starbucks (limited time only)
Sugar Sweet Sunshine
Sweet Revenge
Tribeca Treats
Tonnie's Minis
Two Little Red Hens

*Borough bakeries

No comments: