Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Baked By Melissa


A co-worker introduced me to these little cuties a few months ago. They are bite sized cupcakes from Baked by Melissa. My coworker is friends with Melissa so she sent us a box of cupcakes to try for free. At this time she was still baking all her orders in her apartment kitchen -- can you imagine the mess?! -- but nowadays she sells her treats out of a storefront on Broadway and Spring.

The idea is simple and brilliant. Everyone loves cupcakes but, women especially, hates the guilt of craving and eating more. So Melissa decided to make mini cupcakes that are about the size of a quarter so you can snack almost guilt free! Of course, this idea only went so far with me. The only thing a bite sized cupcake tells me is that I can eat all of them because they're so tiny. And so I did. I tried 6 of the 7 flavors (the peanut butter and jelly didn't sound appetizing to me) and they were all delicious. They were perfectly moist and had a great burst of flavor for such a little cake.

Baked by Melissa offers the following flavors: Cookie Dough, Red Velvet, Cookies and Cream, S'mores, Peanut Butter and Jelly, Peanut Butter Cup, and Tie-Dye. The minimum order quantity is 100 but I think you can buy packages of 6 if you stop by the store. I'm not sure how reasonable her prices are but even if you don't buy, they're great to window browse as well!

THE JOURNEY:
Amai Tea and Bake House
Amy's Bread
Babycakes
Baked*
Baked by Melissa
Batch
Billy's Bakery
Buttercup Bake Shop
Butterlane Cupcakes
Crumbs
Cupcake Cafe
Dessert Club ChikaLicious
Eleni's
How Sweet It Is
Kitchenette
Lux Sugar*
Magnolia
Martha's Country Bakery*
Make My Cake
Out of the Kitchen
Royale Cafe and Pastry (sells Baked* cupcakes!)
Starbucks (limited time only)
Sugar Sweet Sunshine
Sweet Revenge
Tribeca Treats
Tonnie's Minis
Two Little Red Hens

*Borough bakeries

No comments: