Saturday, May 3, 2008

Fusilli alla Caprese


One of my new found favorites! This pasta dish is oh so easy to make and very delicious. I've made it twice now and both times I've had to tell myself to slow down because I'm practically scarfing down everything on my plate. I found this recipe by watching an episode of 'Everyday Italian' on the Food Network. Giada was teaching her (younger) aunt some easy recipes to make and this was one of them. It looked so good on TV that I just had to make it. And this time, my eyes did not deceive me.

Messes: The second time I made this the dish came out even better. I basically gave the tomatoes more time to soften up before squishing them down with a fork. When I first made this dish I found myself fighting with the tomatoes for their juices - they just weren't quite soft enough yet. Another thing I learned after my first attempt was that I should use less pasta and more tomatoes. I felt it could have used more sauce the first time around. I also knew to cut up the mozz into smaller pieces and to use less of it overall. Once it melts down, I tell you, a little bit of mozzarella goes a long way.

Successes: Total success! I love this comfort dish and will continue to whip it together for many years to come, I'm sure. The flavors are great and it's so easy to make - you just can't go wrong here.

Fusilli alla Caprese [Everyday Italian]

No comments: