Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cupcakes in the Windy City

Prior to my Chicago visit, I did some cupcake research. The two cupcakeries I wanted to visit were Molly's and Swirlz. However, I did not map out the locations and wasn't entirely sure how I'd find them on this trip. It seems I was destined to try these cupcakes though because lo and behold I stumbled upon both without even trying!

Best decorated bakery -- swings and board games included!
I loved this place. The bakery adorable and there were many cupcakes to choose from. I went with a chocolate chip cupcake and enjoyed every bite. My favorite of the two bakeries bakeries.



Swirlz
In need of AC and slightly overrated?
Although I loved the extra large cupcake poster (see below), my visit was disappointing. It was an excessively warm summer day in Chicago and the AC was not working at this bakery -- being from Florida this is problem number one for me. I decided to try two cupcakes from this bakery because they looked incredibly appealing. If you've read my blog before, you know that I think one of the best ways to judge a bakery is by sampling the red velvet cupcake. It's a traditional cake but very often done incorrectly. I decided to put Swirlz to the test and it did not pass. Sadly, I was not impressed with this bakery and would not plan another visit. Thankfully I found Molly's on this visit.



No comments: